Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Day 3: Delhi to Haridwar on Bus

(Delhi Nizamuddin station)


4:40 am: Reachd Delhi Nizamuddin station. Got down the train rather groggily as I had slept like a log the night before. The kind TC had bestowed opon me a berth inspite of me not having a reservation. Though a bribe of 100 Rs did the trick, still I am very much thankful to him.
Getting a bath at the station waiting room got me fresh as a daisy for the day ahead. Meanwhile my gaze fell on the newspaper headlines:


"40 dead in Islamabad blasts"


Not a good note to start the trip to Haridwar. I shook myself out of it and caught an autorickshaw to ISBT bus stop, from where I would get my bus to Haridwar.



(ISBT Bus Depot)

6:30 am: Purchased a bus ticket to Haridwar for the Uttarakhand Pariwahan bus. It cost me 116 Rs. There was a tinge of chill in the air and with it the familiarity of the city. I have always loved Delhi. I have stayed here for two years. Got my first job here. Memories came gushing. A quick munch on 'chole bhature' and then I sat plumly in the front seat adjacent to the driver, snugging my leather jacket a little tighter and enjoying the early morning ride.



(Meerut)


7:10 am: I crossed Meerut and am dissapointed that it is raining. I ask the driver and he said its been raining since a week. The newspaper carried a piece mentioning about 20 people being killed in land slides due to incessant rains in Himachal. Though I am not heading to Himachal, still not a good sign again. Lets see if I can salvage something good out of it.



( Kathauli)


9:05 am: I am at Kathauli. A busy town and its still raining. 20 minutes stop at Cheetal Hotel. Sipped tea and clicked photos.




10:00 am: Sky has cleared. Mist around. Feels good. Mood is ebulient. Can see sugar cane fields on either side of the road. Children on their way to school. As I write, the Sun is out beating down hard.

10:20 The milestone reads, Badrinath 399 kms

11:20 am: Enter Uttarakhand border.

11:50 am: Reach Roorkee
Roorkee to me is synonymous to IIT. Have heard about this place since ages. On face value it looked a very neat and planned town. Could be because of the army cantonments.


( Haridwar)

12: 15 am: Wow I am at Haridwar.

11 comments:

Prasanna Seshadri said...

Nice, looks like an episode of a serial, keep posting....

Ravi Kumar said...

Prasanna: Thanks, I felt the same on my trip. Each coming day was more interesting than the day before.

sids said...

Ravi,its superb.THE way u havE posted it,It will work as a travel guide for youths in their bachelor life.

Ravi Kumar said...

@sids: thanks for your kind words..yes it definetely works for single travellers..

Riddhima said...

Ravi I need suggestions... I would love to travel alone but being a girl stops me ...

Ravi Kumar said...

Dont hesistate. ask. india is still unsafe for woman travellers alone.

Wil Camilleri said...

I hope I will start my new year posting the photos of my trip to India! Great Blog you have here love it!

stilbonmaria said...

Delhi To Roorkee Bus Booking

i like this blog.Very wonderful information can be found on web blog.“The quality of an organization can never exceed the quality of the minds that make it upThis post is very interesting and it also helpful for us.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stilbonmaria said...

Delhi To Haridwar Bus Service Timetable

Thanks for another informative site. Where else could I get that type of information written in such an ideal way like this post.This post is really goregious.

Swathi said...

Hope you had a great trip and I liked the blog

Here is site for travel information

Post a Comment

Post a Comment