Saturday, October 25, 2008

Day 4: One the way to Badrinath: Rajaji National Park

8 am: The first bus that I got for Badrinath was ready to leave. I asked the conductor to get me a seat at the front adjacent to the driver but the bus was full. Though there were seats at the back, I wanted to take the front seat to view the route upfront.

I caught the following bus. But this was to go till Rudraprayag. From there I had to make some other arrangement. I hopped in and settled comfortable at the seat near the windshield. Meanwhile, i saw some hawkers selling warm gloves and caps to the bus passengers. I asked them if I will need the gloves and cap. They said the weather at Badrinath would be freezing. I picked up a pair of gloves and a monkey cap and a raincoat. The raincoat cost me Rs 10. :)

8:10 am: We cross Rajaji National Park.
We are driving amidst thick jungle and winding roads. It has started drizzling. I do not want that.
8:35 am: We are still in the national park. The bus is trundling ahead crossing various ravines, rivulets and streams.

It am ecstatic to find myself in the wilderness. My first time in a national park. I wish I could stay here for sometime in the guest house and see the wild animals in jeep safaris. But I will save that for next time.

I see numerous boards saying :

"Elephants crossing, go slow"

Peering hard into the woods, I hoped to catch a glimpse of the elephants through the window of my bus. The lady behind me is dozing. Preposterous! I mean how can one do that? I mean I know everyone is going to Badrinath. But how can you miss the charm of the journey.

And then magic happens. My concentration paid off. I spot a herd of elephant at a stone's throw distance.

8:45 am: We cross Rishikesh

11 comments:

goooooood girl said...

i like......

روزبه said...

come to my blog
www.hollywood-filmnews.blogspot.com
we can exchange link?

indicaspecies said...

Hey, that must have been a thrill that you spotted the herd of elephants.:)

Arun said...

I was there in winter and did not find a single mammal in the wild. But it was fun playing with a baby elephant in the docks.

Ravi Kumar said...

@good girl: Thanks for visiting.

Ravi Kumar said...

@indicaspecies: Yes i shrieked and teh driver for whom that was an everyday sight gave a condescending look.

Ravi Kumar said...

@Arun: I feel privileged you dropped by my blog. Good to know u have been there.

Mridula said...

Your post brought back the memories of a long time ago, when I visited the park over a weekend. The place is quite peaceful!

Ravi Kumar said...

@Mridula: Oh u have been to rajaji. Good to know that! Thanks for dropping by.

John Ponting said...

If you are among those people who are making use of the Voice-Over-Internet or abbreviated as VOIP, then you are the one who is not enjoying the Phone Verified Accounts.

Craigslist PVA

Vishva Bhraman said...

Nice article..

Online Bus Ticket booking
Low Cost Air Tickets Online Booking
Online Hotel Reservations
Holiday Packages India

Post a Comment

Post a Comment