Thursday, October 16, 2008

Day 4:Some more impressions of Haridwar





Dharamshalas(rest houses for piligrims) and Ashrams (hermitages and places of meditation) are synonymous with Haridwar. They have been established by various swamis and yogis and religious institutions over the years. I wanted to stay at a dharamshal in Haridwar but couldnt get a decent one there. I stayed at one in Rishikesh though.


Milk made sweets and delicacies of Haridwar are famous like, rasmalai, rabri and halwa. All hotels and restaurants at Haridwar serve vegetarian food. Alcohol is prohibited.


These mirror artifacts shops dot the busy streets of Haridwar.




You would find many such beads and malas in many shops in the streets of haridwar.



"Gangaji main tel sabun lagakar nahana kapde dhona sakhth mana hai. Aisa karne se paap lagega."
This is what the wall message reads. I smiled when I read it. It means, "Taking a bath at the Ganges with oil and soap is not allowed. If you do so, you would be cursed by the Gods". Nice ploy by the authorities to coerce the sentimental devotees to keep the Ganges clean.



The busy Haridwar


Lord Shiva manning Haridwar




16 comments:

indicaspecies said...

Nice post on Haridwar, and lovely pictures.

I was in Haridwar less than three months ago during the Kanwaria season and have written about it on my blog.

Ravi Kumar said...

@Indicaspecies: Thanks for dropping by. I went thru your blog and seeems you have been travelling sinces ages. Your Haridwar visit seemed more happening. Good to know you. I will keep visiting. Bye:)

Lakshmi said...

lovely vibrant pictures...good you made it . was wondering if u had been to warangal

TopesZZ said...

Hello Ravi..
Amazing stuff...reached your blog about your exploits accidentally and not by design!
Left me musing - is this for real!
Doing this backpacking Juss for Kix or spiritual reasons or jilted or...??just kidding. Keep at it..this will be the biggest education on life ever for you.
Hope to watch out for you.
TopesZZ

TopesZZ said...

BTW, You can catch some of my addictions and musings on psychedelic-musings.blogspot.com
Happy sailing....

TopesZZ

Mridula said...

Enjoyed the pictures of the shops, they look so colorful.

Ravi Kumar said...

Lakshmi: I havent yet been to warangal. I heard about your trip to Hyd and warangal. Look forward to your stories

Ravi Kumar said...

Topeszz: Thanks for dropping by. Reasons for my trip was mixed..still cant make out what. But I savoured every bit of it.

Ravi Kumar said...

Bridula: Thanks!

Saurav Chakraborty said...

Hey Ravi...Great Pictures...I too just came back from a Garhwal trip...But your post on Haridwar and Rajaji national Park gave a fresh perspective:-)...stopnot!!!

Ravi Kumar said...

@Saurav: Good to know that Saurav of your Garhwal trip. Thanks for dropping by.

My Unfinished Life said...

my sasural is in haridwar..and evrytime i go there..imake it a pint to visit har ki pauri and the market area.....your pics brought back the memories.....

Aalia said...

The royal suites at luxury hotel in haridwar can easily leave you dumbstruck. The majestic splendor of the place can blow you away with a complete arrangement of rooms suiting your pocket and tastes. Be it a Chilla suite, a Garden suite, a River View suite, or a Villa; the place can accommodate you easily.

Unknown said...

Thank you for making your post easy to read and grasp. I respect all the work you did here and I’m glad I read this.

http://burningcalories.net/

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hai Baji said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment